Android 2.3 update for HTC Desire CANCELLED

HTC has just dropped a BOMBSHELL on all owners of its original HTC Desire Android phone. The phone will not be getting an update to Android 2.3, despite numerous promises that it was on the way and that the “Gingerbread” update was on schedule to launch later this month.

Blaming the Desire’s “lack of memory” that means HTC’s engineers can’t fit Android 2.3 and its Sense user interface onto the handset, the hardware maker issued the below statement:

Our engineering teams have been working hard for the past few months to find a way to bring Gingerbread to the HTC Desire without compromising the HTC Sense experience you’ve come to expect from our phones. However, we’re sorry to announce that we’ve been forced to accept there isn’t enough memory to allow us both to bring Gingerbread and keep the HTC Sense experience on the HTC Desire. We’re sincerely sorry for the disappointment that this news may bring to some of you.

And on that bombshell, we upload the beloved stock photograph of the HTC Desire for one final farewell. Goodbye, mostly sunny Barcelona :(

htc desire android 23 cancelled

On the plus side, the Desire with 2.2 is still an amazing phone. Look at it that way, OK? We are available for a confidential chat if you need someone to talk to at this difficult time. Thanks to Peter for the tip.

70 ResponsesLeave one →

1. Stephen

/  June 14, 2011

Leaving it until 16 days before it’s due to be release is pretty harsh!!

• mintvilla

/  June 14, 2011

This is a shock, the rom that got leaked about 4months ago was pretty fine. dont see why they couldnt release that?

• marty

/  June 15, 2011

Htc have back tracked. the update is coming. Check the HTC fb page.

• mintvilla

/  June 16, 2011

yes but obviously they hadnt back tracked when i originally posted that.

2. Paul

/  June 14, 2011

I don’t much care for this news, no sir i don’t :-(

3. Nick

/  June 14, 2011

At least they admitted that, rather than do what Motorola have done to the Milestone – upgraded it to Android 2.2 from 2.1, which it really, really can’t cope with.

4. Phil

/  June 14, 2011

It’s just a ploy to get people to buy a new phone. My brother’s been running gingerbread with sense on his desire for months now without any issues. If he & others can manage it surely HTC can.

5. shrinkwrapped

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

6. Peter

/  June 14, 2011

Maybe it is the optimist in me (did not know I had one) but could the wording mean an optional update to stock is possible? I would appreciate that even if practically there is no difference between it and installing it myself.

7. Matt C

Arse Arse Arse
    Maybe time to start looking at custom roms now :(

8. Dean

/  June 14, 2011

The Nexus One got 2.3 a while back on almost identical hardware, but then vanilla android is significantly leaner than Sense. Well, I guess anyone who feels unhappy can always go down the road of custom roms to get some gingerbread goodness.

I feel for those on a 24 month contract who may now have an unsupported device for another year or so. I’ll be looking forward to some ice cream sandwich later in the year on my DHD but not from HTC I think. Sometimes :/

9. jramskov

/me hugs CyanogenMod.

Been running CM7 on my HTC Desire since sometime before the final release. Works great!

10. MarkG

/  June 14, 2011

Loves his HTC Legend running 2.3.3 and Cyanogen 7.03 with sense-like widgets…

11. Another Phil

/  June 14, 2011

I can’t say I’m not disappointed, because I am. Yes, its still a brilliant phone, but having got my wife a wildfire s and seen 2.3 I wanted the extra bits. Still got a bloody year left on my contract too, which is annoying.

Hey, Ho. I’m certainly going to consider whether my next phone is HTC if they can’t keep up to date for the length of my contract.

12. @jotillamod

/  June 14, 2011

I don´t know how can to be optimized gingerbread in wildfire s…. because wildfire s have got a 600mhz micro and 512mb of RAM, no? … I think that HTC not want to update th HTC Desire to gingerbread, only it…

13. At least with the unlocked bootloader, people can still install unofficial Gingerbread mods on the phone.

14. Betrayed

/  June 14, 2011

Already infamous for their lousy battery, high price, and inaccurate runny clock and now their internal memory as well. Felt betrayed after buying the Desire hardly 7 months ago.

Guess I’ll not be buying anymore HTCs from now on. I rather have a stock 2.3.3 than their stupid Sense UI, forced onto us.

15. Dean (not the one above)

/  June 14, 2011

Utter gits.. I don’t for a minute believe they can’t fit it if they can do it on the Wildfire

Well that looks like my love affair with HTC is over..

Maybe a Galaxy S II in a year when my contract expires…

sigh

16. Paul

/  June 14, 2011

Just goes to show how lardy Sense must be. Just ditch it for CM7 and ADWLauncher and you’ll wonder why you didn’t do that months ago.

17. Nizzy

/  June 14, 2011

sad face. I was really looking forward to the update. Time to switch to CM7 I guess, and my next phone will be a Samsung.

18. rik

/  June 14, 2011

Well its a shame the desire won’t get the update but i still love my desire. Quick question though, where is the standard “the fish is not amused” accompanied by the goldfish on the Desire screen!? I guess this article disappoint in more ways than one! Lol.

19. k0zmic

/  June 14, 2011

I don’t think they’d do this without reason after announcing it especially when you factor in the outrage that will ensue.

My guess is that they couldn’t fit in all the Sense features without compromising the overall experience.

• k0zmic

/  June 14, 2011

By Sense features I mean the 3.0 ones. I think they said bits of Sense 3.0 would make their way over to , I reckon it was just too heavy for the Desire.

20. David

/  June 14, 2011

This is rather annoying. I have been holding off rooting and going down the CM7 path. I guess that’s the way i’ll have to go.
    I still have 6 months left on my contract and saw Official Gingerbread as the way to keep my interest in my phone.
    I have to admit that this has turned my head away from a new HTC next time…

21. Disappointed that HTC have done this but it doesn’t affect me since I use CM7. It does show how large and bloated HTC Sense has become though because CM7 runs just fine on my phone – and I actually prefer my phone without HTC’s crapware.

I hope that Ice Cream Sandwich puts an end to these awful skins – give me a sleek vanilla Android phone any day!

22. Lightfoot

/  June 14, 2011

I consider it a shame and an outrage, especially after so many times have been reported in the press, with HTC source (at least I took it as such), that the upgrade was a certainty … I know that they are spraying for my opinion, but at least it manifest!

Desire was my last HTC. Enough. They stand with the Wildfire, who never managed to release some of the colors to Portugal and now this! Geez, I’m really disappointed with HTC!

23. Matt S

/  June 14, 2011

Very disappointing. It’s nothingnto do with space as rooted people already are running gingerbread. It’s clearly an executive decision not to release 2.3 in order to sell new phones. I am very cross that htc can’t even keep a phone updated for the life cycle of a contract (18-24 months). I love android but the news that iOS 5 will even be loadable onto the iphone3g makes me seriously consider going back, at least apple keep their products up to date for as long as they can.

• vince

/  June 14, 2011

Good luck running iOS 5 on a 3G. Sure it will update but it will be so laggy u’d wish you never updated it. 3G can’t even handle ios 4.

24. Ah well. Finally, I have silly childish bragging rights with my Galaxy S. YEH! HA!

Oh…Gingerbread still didn’t grow me a flash for my camera…

If I were in yer shoes, it would be CM7 all the way…would have tried albiet for a less than perfect SGS experience. Good luck Desirees in you ROM fight.

25. khatt

/  June 14, 2011

Disappointed. Half a year ago this phone was android flagship now its not able to be upgraded. 1 more year on contract… definitely not buying HTC again.

• Steve

/  June 29, 2011

Totally agree – have been a strong supporter and have recomended the Desire to loads of people…

Still got a year on contract so not happy! next phone will not be HCT

26. Are there an good sites that you could recommend that show you a step by step (pref with pics) idiot noob guide to rooting the desire and the advice on the best rom to install. BTW Do these roms have the new version of sense? and do they work with the web features if they do? Thank god I took an 18 month contact out last year so I should be able to upgrade soon.

• If there is a beta rom then yes, sense will be in there. If you go the cyanogen mod route then no. you will get a vanilla android experience but if I were you I would head over to their site and have a sniff around. There are noob guides and all sorts on there.
      I don’t think that much of sense anyway. drove my mother in law up the wall so I put launcher pro on and she’s much happier.

27. joe

/  June 14, 2011

At first I was afraid, I was petrified. Thinking I could never live with 2.2 inside, I spent so many nights thinking HTC done me wrong and I grew strong and I learned how to get along

28. fedot

/  June 14, 2011

This was the first and the last HTC product for me. Never again. Thanks a bunch, HTC.

29. joe

/  June 14, 2011

Oh for heavens sake get a grip all of you, you’d think your perfectly decent phone had suddenly turned to lead, all for the sake of an extra 0.1 of android. Honestly…

• Nizzy

/  June 14, 2011

i didn’t really care for the update, but they promised it for months only to fail.

30. martin

/  June 14, 2011

Bit annoyed with HTC. Surely they could have told us this before they promised it??
    Out of sheer moodyness im not going to get the sensation, but the s2 :)

31. ray

/  June 14, 2011

If htc does not update to 2.3 or remove protection on bootloader next phone will not be from htc

32. dans

xda-dev ftw.

33. Holmes

/  June 15, 2011

How could they just announce “Android 2.3, it can’t be with the Desire”.

Technically, I don’t understand.
    Logically, I don’t understand.

Next phones will not be from HTC. Of course.

• jbt

/  June 24, 2011

totaly agree! …still got 10 month’s to go…but i’m heavily leaning towards the samsung gal.SII or maybe even the LG optimus 2X…

34. fattcslim

/  June 15, 2011

Maybe then they should have to cancel all the long contracts we have? As it looks like we the consumers have been shafted again, but then again, why would we think the give a rats a…

35. Leeboy

/  June 15, 2011

Embarrassing for HTC and also the carriers, will have second thoughts about HTC come renewal time. Still sticking to threeuk though. When I treated them to confirm that the update had been cancelled they answered within a few mins. No direct word from HTC tweet account and can’t see anything on their website.

36. Ewan

/  June 15, 2011

Disapointed not to get 2.3 given improved power management and security. But the Desire is just as good as the day I bought it so not overly bothered. Quite happy to wait another year for a new phone or indeed longer – it’s kind of sad that people are always looking to the new rather than recognising the quality of what they already have.

37. RP

/  June 15, 2011

This is just absolutely ridiculous. Telecoms watchdogs really need to start clamping down on on the blatant misinformation that manufacturers spew in order to keep their phones selling. I’m 18 months away from the end of my contract, and the only reason I went for a desire was that I’d been promised by HTC that it would get updated. I shouldn’t need to resort to custom rom for that.

In 18 months, if Google haven’t properly addressed Android fragmentation (i know they intend to), then my next phone won’t be an Android.

• Turbohobbit

/  June 15, 2011

Good point about fragmentation. I know the argument for tech-spec and the ability to run an OS version will depend on the power of a unit, but to have a lower grade model of phone run 2.3 but a higher level unit not is completely out of whack. The bottom line from Google should be:

1) If a unit can technically run an OS version without hampering the enjoyment of the experience, then it should.

38. Turbohobbit

/  June 15, 2011

I’m now rather pleased I rooted my Desire back last August after the wait for FroYo bacame too much. I’ve been running a 2.3 ROM for weeks now and it’s all good. That said, I still have a year left to run on my contract and I’m in two minds as to whether or not my next phone will be an HTC. I’ll take a view on what’s out there available to me nearer the time, but right now I’m thinking “anyone but HTC”. Which is a shame as I’ve always thought the quality of their gear has been top drawer.

39. Simon

Breaking News:

“HTC UK
    Contrary to what we said earlier, we are going to bring Gingerbread to HTC Desire.”

Source: http://www.facebook.com/htcuk/posts/225857300777092

40. Stephen

/  June 15, 2011

You got there first Simon!!

Curses!! Good news tho :)

41. joe

/  June 15, 2011

Contrary to my previous indifference this probably the best news I’ve had in the last 5 minutes

42. jbt

/  June 15, 2011

This reeks of “publicity stunt” and “sensation drama”…

please release the d@mn update already….

• Nizzy

/  June 15, 2011

if it is, it’s the dumbest thing they’ve ever done. A number of users including myself already installed a custom MOD after they said we wouldn’t get GB. Gonna play around with it until they release it, but i doubt i’ll get back to official rom now.

43. Shafique Awan

/  June 16, 2011

They say that they will remove some applications in order to get it on the Desire and have not really given up on it . ..

44. gman

/  June 20, 2011

htc are doing what sony ericsson did wth there x10i update it to 2.1 and then say thats it boys 2 fingers to you! SE learned the hard way not to piss your fans off and lost 1000s of users like me to htc and now se are updating the x10i to 2.3 as a last chance bid to win back some of there fan base. I just got a desire yesterday for 2.3 and then read this today i am not a happy bunny and am let down by this as htc have not learnt from sonys mistakes if you say your going to do somthing then do it! plum bags

45. Ron

/  June 24, 2011

No more HTC or Android for me ….

• Anonymous

/  July 31, 2011

I think next year,i’ll get am iPhone4,I now hate HTC.

• Gary C

/  July 31, 2011

But it’s OK! They un-cancelled it. It should be out any day now…

46. Ivan

/  June 26, 2011

I’m generally happy they won’t push the update. I have a very negative experience with iPhone which originally ran iphone OS 2, and now with iOS 4 can’t be used for anything at all, that slow and unresponsive it is. If theres hardware limitation for 2.3 update then it’s ok. Bear in mind that ALL Android software is currently developed for at least Android 2.1, and some developers still consider 1.6. From a developer point of view theres nothing in 2.3 one would desperately want which is not in 2.1. Just relax and enjoy your HTC Desire for another year or two.

47. FUUUUU

HTC, you didn’t let me options: time to a cyanogen mod

1. Anonymous
  2. HTC Desire krijgt GEEN Android 2.3 | 2bAndroid
  3. Android 2.3 update for HTC Desire CANCELLED » Eurodroid | Content Store
  4. » No Gingerbread For HTC Desire – Techtree.com tengo tech news
  5. Android 2.3 update for HTC Desire CANCELLED | Android Smartphone News and Reviews
  6. HTC: We are bringing Android 2.3 to the HTC Desire | DownloadMyPadMedia.com
  7. HTC Desire Android 2.3 update to launch “end of July | Tech Gadget
  8. HTC Desire Android 2.3 update begins, via DIY install | Islamic Business Zone